I completed a Bachelor of Psychology (Hons) with the University Medal at the University of Sydney in 2008. I am currently completing a PhD examining the role of stress and anxiety in habit and goal-directed learning in healthy humans and patients with social anxiety. Other research interests include examining heart rate variability in anxious populations as a marker of symptom severity and treatment response, and investigating novel pharmacological treatments, such as the hormone oxytocin, and their effects on social behavior and cognition. I have previously been involved in coordinating various clinical trials implemented within our lab. Notably, I helped to coordinate an eight week treatment trial of oxytocin nasal spray for adolescents aged 12-18 years with autism spectrum disorders (currently being written up for publication). During my time in this lab, I have also assisted on various clinical trials of oxytocin and vasopressin in healthy adults and in various psychiatric populations, as well as a D-cycloserine clinical trial for social anxiety disorder.
- Alvares, G. A., Quintana, D. S., Kemp, A. H., Van Zwieten, A., Balleine, B. W., Hickie, I. B., & Guastella, A. J. (2013). Reduced heart rate variability in social anxiety disorder: associations with gender and symptom severity. PLOS ONE, 8 (7), e70468
- Kenyon, A. R., Alvares, G. A., Hickie, I. B., & Guastella, A. J. (2013). The effects of acute Arginine Vasopressin administration on social cognition in healthy males. Journal of Hormones, Article ID 386306
- Guastella, A. J., Alvares, G. A., Hickie, I. H., Chan, H-K., Chen, T. F., & Banati, R. B. (2013) Unitary hormonal models, peripheral markers, and evaluation or response to drug: A response to Weisman and Feldman, Psychoneuroendocrinology, 38, 627-628.
- Quintana, D. S., Kemp, A. H., Alvares, G. A., & Guastella, A. J. (2013) A role for autonomic cardiac control in the effects of oxytocin on social behaviour and psychiatric illness, Frontiers in Neuroendocrine Science, 7, 48
- Alvares, G. A., Chen, N.T.M, Balleine, B.W., Hickie, I.B. & Guastella, A. J. (2012) Oxytocin selectively moderates negative cognitive appraisals in high trait anxious males. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 37, 2022-2031.
- Guastella, A. J., Kenyon, A. R., Unkelbach, C., Alvares, G. A., Hickie, I. B. (2011) Arginine Vasopressin selectively facilitates recognition of positive and negative sex words. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 36, 294-297.
- Alvares, G. A., Hickie, I. B., & Guastella, A. J. (2010) Acute effects of intranasal oxytocin on subjective and behavioral responses to social rejection. Experimental & Clinical Psychopharmacology, 18, 316-321.
- Guastella, A. J., Kenyon, A. R., Alvares, G. A., Carson, D. S., Hickie, I. B. (2010) Intranasal arginine vasopressin enhances the encoding of happy and angry faces in humans. Biological Psychiatry, 67, 1220-1222.
- Van Zwieten, A., Alvares, G. A., & Guastella A. J. (in press) Chapter 47: Novel treatment approaches for anxiety disorders. In Neurobiology of Mental Illness 4th edition.
- Alvares, G. A. & Guastella A. J. (in press) The neuroendocrinology of social anxiety disorder. In J. W. Weeks (Ed.) Wiley-Blackwell Handbook on Social Anxiety Disorder.
- Guastella, A. J. & Alvares, G. A. (2012) Chapter 5: D-Cycloserine. In S. G. Hofmann (Ed.) Psychobiological Approaches for Anxiety Disorders: Treatment Combination Strategies.